What is TooMuchPatentLeather?

My name is Alex and this blog is more of a diary or mood board, expressing my own original thoughts about fashion, beauty, art and what exactly is too much. The title of this blog is like my personal style in that it is ironic- there can never be too much patent leather. Fashion is more than self expression or art, it is a form of communication and this page will be committed to communicating both simple and elaborate conceptual ideas and also opinions. Whenever I place pictures of myself I am not using professional photography tools. I do not own or claim property on any images. Feel free to leave a comment expressing your own opinions and constructive criticism. Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Androgyny: When is it Too Much?

Andrej Pejic.

          Alright, first things first, the magnitude and length of this post is too much! However, this is such an important topic and such a widespread one as well that I feel I'm still not giving it justice. Perhaps there may be a Part 2 Androgyny: The Good, Drag and Ugly. But until then this will have to do. Androgyny may be something that will continually persist within fashion, which to me makes perfect sense. As stated previously, this topic is so widespread, that this post will be dealing with transsexual muses, on one end of the spectrum, to the current boyfriend jacket trend on the other. Although not so clear at first, there are certain things considered androgynous that anyone can "pull off". Androgyny can be quite severe and blunt, or soft and beautiful. Like fashion, or humans, it comes in all shapes, sizes, styles and tastes. Safe to say, if you don't even have an ounce of tolerance this post may not be for you. However, androgyny is an intriguing area, and many shy away because its too 'weird' or not heterosexual enough for them. People often like clear groupings, black or white, vanilla or chocolate, girl or boy. But what if you love strawberry? Maybe I'm coming off too seriously with this, having fun with androgyny and exploring different possibilities (once again) opens new possibilities for your closet. Androgyny can be too much when done just for the sake of shocking the viewer, there has to be thought and meaning behind any image even if that thought or meaning isn't what is translated to the viewer or audience. I think it might be a little fun, for people that aren't quite on this scene, to label some of the models as what gender they were born and whether any surgery has been done, just to show different possibilities androgyny has. 

Andrej left. Born male. No plastic surgery.


Absolutely obsessed with the chemistry in this picture.
           Andrej Pejic may always be my favorite, and most successful, androgynous model. He can successfully play between genders and at times perfectly portray completely female or completely male. Although he still makes more money as a male model, his experience with Gaultier has launched his international career. One of my favorite models of all time. 

The infamous cover that sent Pejic into fame.

Lea T, born male, transexual. So beautiful, I feel she can still be a beautiful man as well.
 

 Not placed for the imagery, but just to set a mood.





Perhaps a more practical example of androgyny for the average girl.
Epic. If you haven't seen this before you're living under a rock.



Sometimes just having one piece can add an androgynous flair to your look. Lovely.


Ok, I know I'm over emphasizing Andrej but it's so easy.


Jenny Shimizu. Born female, no surgery. Absolutely stunning.
We will come back to this a little later...

She looks lovely with age.

I think this picture is so intriguing, Scarlet known as a curvy bombshell, ultra feminine, yet still beautiful in this picture.

Perhaps the one thing I want people to go away with from this post, women should wear bow ties ALOT more.

The bow tie looks amazing here.
Tilda, only she can be casted as a neutralized Angel Gabriel. We'll come back to her-if anyone even reads that far.


Need I say more?


Sierra of CocoRosie. I think they do the most interesting new things with androgynous ideas. More pictures near the end, along with the more crazier side of this post.



Haunting.


           The following images are examples of the boyfriend jacket trend and then some designs by McQueen that I feel have an androgynous aspect-perhaps more subtly. Joseph Harwood is also another stunning creature that has sprung onto the androgynous map and always an inspiration. He is not a drag queen, but is instead pulling together aspects of feminine nature in his designs and presentation. I've always found his work inspirational. I guess this might be a good enough time as any to explain what androgyny means to me. Androgyny is more than blurring the lines, its what I feel fashion should be about. Beauty. Simple as that, there are aspects about each gender stereotype that is beautiful, taking the positives from each can be extremely fulfilling but also something new, interesting.


Kate Bosworth is truly an inspiration when it comes to menswear.



Male, I do not appreciate him as much as Andrej because I feel he is another agency's response to Andrej. He can pull off both genders but unlike Andrej, he is only a beautiful male, and average female model. Andrej instead can be beautiful in both masculine and feminine approaches.

Amazing. Born Male. No plastic surgery. All images available here.




Boy George definitely sent waves of attention toward androgynous artistry.
Beyond beautiful.

My only attempt at androgyny. Go ahead, laugh.






Bill Kaulitz, male, no surgery. He totally represents my teenage obsession years.






          Now for the more 'louder section', congrats if you've made it this far! This is definetly the most entertaining part of this post. What some call crazy others call free and I love the following pictures. Some of these beautiful people are chosen either for their aesthetic to be put in this section or their persona/personality.




Jeffree Star, born male. A big gorgeous yes to surgery.


Pete Burns, great advocate for self expression.


Carmen Carrera, I feel he.she. is moving past the status of drag queen into something more. Thoughts?


I mean no offense to Gregory Gorgeous by categorizing him under this section, I just thought his personality was a fit.

Is it weird that I think Jeffree looks so beautiful here, more than any other picture I've ever seen.


No surgery at all...


And now the pièce de résistance


Beyond anything. Sugar to my eyes. These sisters are true artists. And now I'll end this elaborate, extensive long post with a simply small picture of Andrej. I think that says something. Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment