What is TooMuchPatentLeather?

My name is Alex and this blog is more of a diary or mood board, expressing my own original thoughts about fashion, beauty, art and what exactly is too much. The title of this blog is like my personal style in that it is ironic- there can never be too much patent leather. Fashion is more than self expression or art, it is a form of communication and this page will be committed to communicating both simple and elaborate conceptual ideas and also opinions. Whenever I place pictures of myself I am not using professional photography tools. I do not own or claim property on any images. Feel free to leave a comment expressing your own opinions and constructive criticism. Thanks for reading!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Seas of Dire: When is Mermaid Fashion Too Much?

 
          Moving on from the last post, I've been now thinking more about the wondrous relationship nature has with fantasy and how these ideas can lead to new creative outlets. The mystery of the ocean and the fantasy or should I say legends of the Sirens I think can be thought provoking to many people besides myself. Its quite easy to get 'cheesy' or hokey with underwater photography but some the the imagery below is quite breathtaking. The Vogue Italia spread over the oil spill is beyond any words I could use to attempt a description. While the progression of photos are quite graphic they reveal a very realness about an issue through a very abstract presentation of the model. The lure of the Sirens is both beautiful, intoxicating and deadly-another theme I feel quite present in the heart of art (or fashion). Perhaps my continual harping on common themes of intoxicating destruction says something about myself, but at the very least I am very into the idea of romanticized mystery and tragedy in beauty.




The next series of photos, all Alexander McQueen, are arguable the most beautiful and stunning pictures from this entire post.





           McQueen is always brought about when looking for subjects that can be mysterious, dangerous and fantastical. The following pictures are more concrete examples of these abstract photos in the fashion world. Letting a little fantasy in a wardroppe, appropriately (and not in a costume format), can allow new creative possibilites. 
So mermaid, no? I adore these.


I was committed to buying this until I found out it was 500 dollars.

Antique Seashell earrings. Adorable.

Something about this McQueen says coral to me. Maybe not so obviously, but it is still a striking piece.

A whole different type of fish nets. Love!




Beautiful McQueen that reminds me of both the grace of the water, and somehow...seaweed.
  

Moving on, the rest of these images depict more of the story of the Siren. It may seem that I have an influx of posts lately, but after next week I do not know how much time I will have to commit to this diary blog. I hope you all have enjoyed these wonderful images, leave a comment for suggestions or opinions. Thanks for reading. 



Not necessarily intended but she scream Siren here. Deadly stunning.




I had to.

Illamasqua's The Sirens, although rather old still offers an intriguing look into a world, and offers some quite sensational products.













I would die to see this in real life.










No comments:

Post a Comment